The management of ASP hold the view that businesses operating in a region have a responsibility for the growth and welfare of both the community and other business in that region. To this extent ASP, and its managers, have a long history of providing their time and resources into a range of activities that bring benefit to the region.
Located in St Marys, ASP Group is one of the oldest plastic manufacturers in Australia and a leading supplier of equipment to the healthcare sector. Its success is also symbolic of the industrious business community and inventive culture that thrives in Penrith.
The company started producing springs in 1960 before moving into plastics manufacturing in 1971. Since then, the ASP Group has expanded into other sectors, product lines and overseas markets on the strength of its ability to continuously innovate, acquire new businesses and develop successful partnerships with academia and government.
From humble beginnings in Penrith, ASP Healthcare now has over 160 products being widely distributed into more than 39 countries. Growth in this sector also saw the company open a business in the UK in 2005 to support initiatives being launched by UK National Health System. On top of its UK operations, in 2006 ASP started exporting to the US and despite the global financial crisis and increased competition from Asian manufacturers, has thrived.
While many other plastics companies have moved their operations offshore, ASP continues to invest in creating jobs and opportunities for local industries. Their commitment has paid off – not just in business terms but industry recognition and government support.
According to ASP’s Managing Director and Chairman of the Penrith Business Alliance, Paul Brennan, part of the company’s success has been attributed to its location in Penrith and proximity to the University of Western Sydney’s Institute for Infrastructure Engineering. “Based in Western Sydney we are strategically placed to not only enjoy the luxury of space. We are also blessed to be surrounded by leading academic organisations and a community providing us with highly skilled staff” – Paul Brennan, Managing Director, ASP Group.
Article publisher – www.penrithishere.com.au.
- Australian Standards
- Positions on the Australian Standards Development Committees.
- Global Health Authorities
- Frequently called upon to give advice gained from our own experiences in the harm minimisation sector around the world. This includes India, USA, Canada, NZ and the U.K.
- NSW & Federal Governments
- Frequently called upon to take positions on advisory committees at all levels of government
- Lecturing positions at several colleges
- Previous position on the advisory board for the school of Engineering
- Several current positions of various advisory committees
- Previous lecturing positions
- Plastics Pioneers
- Immediate past presidency of the Plastics Pioneers of Australia
- Worked with PIMA and TAFE to develop the current apprenticeship syllabus
- Immediate Past presidency of the Plastic Industry Manufactorers of Australia
- Currently holding several other Board positions
- Penrith Business Alliance
- Chair of the Penrith Business Alliance
- Chair of the Penrith Valley Economic Development Corporation until it’s name change
- Regional Development Australia
- Chair of the Skilling and Engineering Taskforce of Regional Development Australia – Sydney
- Immediate past Presidency of Western Sydney Regional Council of the New South Wales Business Chamber.
- Current Regional Councillor on the Western Sydney Regional Council of the New South Wales Business Chamber
- Chair of the Membership Committee of the New South Wales Business Chamber
- Position on the Governance Taskforce
- Position on Infrastructure Committee
- Mamre House
- Provision of equipment and executive time to projects managed by the Sisters of Mercy
- Sponsorship of the St. Clair United Soccer Club
- Sponsorship of the Doonside Junior Rugby Club